Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Why does GOD exist? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126446)

Ziusudra 21-11-2018 02:33 PM

Why does GOD exist?

This is not a debate of whether or not GOD exists.
In this question, we assume the GOD exists.
The questions is:

Why does GOD exist?
(Whatever your GOD or GODs may be)

Raziel 21-11-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziusudra
The questions is:

Why does GOD exist?

In your hypothetical situation - it depends on which God.

To create, to nurture, to teach, to judge.. to destroy..

~

This applies to the God force i.e nature or to the God spirit being - either enforces rules but the latter may contain humanesque reasoning for their enforcement.

I can't help feeling a little wary of your closed & blinkered question.

Ziusudra 21-11-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raziel
In your hypothetical situation - it depends on which GOD.

All GODs, whichever GOD or GOD.

Quote:

To create, to nurture, to teach, to judge.. to destroy
These may be GODs actions in your point of view.
There must be WHY behind these ACTIONS.
So, why?
Why does GOD (S) exist?

inavalan 21-11-2018 06:23 PM

1. Humans' need to explain the unexplained.
2. Humans' need to force themselves when nobody sees them.
3. Humans' need for hope.

Little Creek77 21-11-2018 06:34 PM

Religions use God as an almighty super parent. Thus this is a vehicle to control people. Do what God says, Obey Gods Rules, or you will die or whatever. This kind of god is totally made up by a ruling class of people. Notice how God is associated with Royal Families, Sultans, etc.. It has to do with enforcing their laws. Thus they rule under the "Fear Of God". This has nothing to do with the Universe and all its powers.

Raziel 21-11-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

All GODs, whichever GOD or GOD.

Its clear to see that you edited your post at 4.35 & my original response was posted an hour before.

Quote:

These may be GODs actions in your point of view.
There must be WHY behind these ACTIONS.
So, why?
Why does GOD (S) exist?

Your angling for something here - why else would you be insisting on posters following your rules & definitions??

Forgive me but if you're about to offer "a definitive answer" -its all been said before.

~

As I stated - God the being is given numerous explanations for specific characteristics, pick one.

I.e God exists as the destroyer, the father ...

God as an energy force just is.

There is no dissecting infinity.

inavalan 21-11-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Creek77
Religions use God as an almighty super parent. Thus this is a vehicle to control people. Do what God says, Obey Gods Rules, or you will die or whatever. This kind of god is totally made up by a ruling class of people. Notice how God is associated with Royal Families, Sultans, etc.. It has to do with enforcing their laws. Thus they rule under the "Fear Of God". This has nothing to do with the Universe and all its powers.

Like the political correctness ...

Like the new age's interpretation of karma ...

Surely, all of them are man-made (should I write person-made? ...), all of them are used to manipulate people by those with other agendas.

On the other hand all of them have / had some positive influence to humanity's growing up.

I'd say: don't blame only those who try to take advantage, but also those who allow to be taken advantage of.

Raziel 21-11-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inavalan

I'd say: don't blame only those who try to take advantage, but also those who allow to be taken advantage of.

Its like the rumoured Baphomet worshippers who actually tell the world their intentions via various mediums (books,t.v, music).

On the one hand the signs are there - on the other who in their right mind intends to harm another for personal gain in the first place.

It seems like its essentially the sheep & the wolf, predator & prey - but on higher plains of awareness at times.

iamthat 21-11-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

The questions is:

Why does GOD exist?
(Whatever your GOD or GODs may be)

Some interesting responses but they seem to miss the point of the original question.

To me, the question is not asking for a list of human explanations for the existence or non-existence of God, whatever we might conceive that to be.

I interpret the question as simply asking why is there a Supreme Being at all? Why does anything exist?

We can come up with all sorts of explanations for how things come into existence, but the question of why remains a complete mystery.

The idea of the Absolute as the ultimate Cause without a Cause does nothing to explain why there should be an Absolute in the first place.

We can only wonder.

Peace.

Shivani Devi 21-11-2018 11:53 PM

Why does anything exist?

God exists as a concept either within or created by our own minds to try and make sense of the senseless or to personify the unimaginable, intangible abstraction of a supreme, unlimited intelligence characteristic of an omniscient consciousness.

Each person will have their own idea as to what God means to them, based solely upon cognitive dissonance, cultural upbringing and personal experience and they will say "this is what God is" but any concept, any idea or notion can only represent what God is and therefore becomes a manifestation of the sublime energy of God and not God in total, as it is beyond the function of the human brain to even conceive of such a thing.

To speak in simplified, general terms, God exists to make people aware that there is much more to existence than what we can normally think, feel or perceive through our limited, imperfect senses and then to take that as being "all there is" and apply rationalist methodology to explain or describe the form and function of the universe and from whence it originated.

God exists to teach us how to love on an inclusive, holistic level, or as a bridge that links the heart to a transcendent paradigm and way of seeing oneself in relation to the universe, or as an intermediate doorway through which what cannot be known, can be personally experienced, in whatever way the experience unfolds, giving the individual something that is "greater than oneself" (ego self) to actually surrender to in the name and intention of that love, so that a greater awareness can be attained.

Ziusudra 22-11-2018 02:57 AM

Very interesting responses...

Majority seems to saying... We, humans created GOD or GODs to our image to suit our human needs. Hm...
So, this becomes chicken and egg debate.

Ziusudra 22-11-2018 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat

I interpret the question as simply asking why is there a Supreme Being at all?

Peace.

Yes, that is the core of the question.

Does the GOD ask itself this very question?

Shivani Devi 22-11-2018 03:56 AM

Quote:

Majority seems to saying... We, humans created GOD or GODs to our image to suite our human needs. Hm...

So, we shall indulge in the "chicken vs egg" dichotomy.

When we speak of God, we are speaking about pure, unfiltered, direct perception.

We did not "create God" but what we are creating, is the concept OF God and there is a big difference there.

Human perception creates labels and the concept of linear time and in such regards (and it has been scientifically proven), both chicken and egg existed simultaneously.

It is also an existential paradox, based on a purely intellectual synopsis, but what's not to say that God is existent and non existent simultaneously? More along the lines of Schroedinger's Cat?

I could go into Hindu philosophy and discuss the nature of Purusha and Prakriti, but I will spare you that....instead, I will quote Aldous Huxley..

https://goo.gl/images/TLVtWQ

wstein 22-11-2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Majority seems to saying... We, humans created GOD or GODs to our image to suite our human needs. Hm...

So then "We, humans" are the GODs referred to.

I usually phrase the question in this way: Set aside for the moment what exists or if anything actually exists, how is it possible that anything can exist? Shouldn't 'nothing' have remained thus?

No answer here because clearly there is no way to boot strap the ceasing of nothing.

Note that I do not consider "it always existed" as a valid answer as it does not answer how it is possible.

Shivani Devi 22-11-2018 04:56 AM

This is going to be very difficult for me to articulate so as to be understood.

I don't have any personal issue with the realisation that "God has always been" in much the same way as what existed before the Big Bang in order to bring the whole universe into being? How is that even possible?

According to Quantum Physics, there is no such thing as "nothing":

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/bigt...05311.amp.html

...and even if there were such a thing as "nothing" it would need to be contrasted with "something" to make "nothing" and "something" even possible...wherein lies the whole duality of existence.

Even the term "non dual" requires what is "dual" for the whole distinction to be made, which is dual in and of itself.

Suffice to say, the human mind is capable of infinite contortions and associations with "being"...even those who say "I am God" because there is always that little bit of "legroom" left for me to innocently ask "what is the 'you' that is 'God'?

It is also said that the whole of existence is God just looking in a mirror, trying to make sense of what it sees...and I can understand that, but my ego wonders why God would need a mirror to look at in the first place?

To get beyond any line of deductive reasoning, the mind and all thought must be totally dropped and this is just way too much of an ask for any rational human being who lives and exists within their own mental sphere of trying to "understand" what God is, because that's a fool's errand.

inavalan 22-11-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Majority seems to saying... We, humans created GOD or GODs to our image to suit our human needs. Hm...

I don't think there's any chicken or egg debate. The egg was first because the higher level spark happens in the egg, not in the chicken.

inavalan 22-11-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstein
So then "We, humans" are the GODs referred to.

I usually phrase the question in this way: Set aside for the moment what exists or if anything actually exists, how is it possible that anything can exist? Shouldn't 'nothing' have remained thus?

No answer here because clearly there is no way to boot strap the ceasing of nothing.

Note that I do not consider "it always existed" as a valid answer as it does not answer how it is possible.

You assume that "firstly" there was nothing ... Why? Because you can't conceive that something can't not have a beginning? In a non-dual realm you don't have to have both something and nothing ...

Who created God? Then, who created God's creator? ...

Let's just accept there are things that our minds can't fathom.

Let's find out the answers to smaller and more practical questions: Why are we, humans, here? What do we try to do? What am I supposed to do?

wstein 22-11-2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

You assume that "firstly" there was nothing ... Why? Because you can't conceive that something can't not have a beginning? In a non-dual realm you don't have to have both something and nothing ...

I definitely do not assume that first there was nothing. Doesn't really matter if there was a nothing first, the question is about how there is a something currently. How is that even possible for there to be a something.

Quote:

Let's just accept there are things that our minds can't fathom.

Let's find out the answers to smaller and more practical questions: Why are we, humans, here? What do we try to do? What am I supposed to do?

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." - Richard Bach

Do not assume everyone on this forum is human.
Also do not assume that those who are human intend to stay human.
Growth is a thing that can be embraced and even realized.

Raziel 22-11-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Then why not ask that originally?

You don't seem to have God nailed down (pardon the pun Christians).

If we were to look at God as any of the things I listed - teacher, destroyer, father etc then those traits tell you the motivation, if we look at God as a natural force then it's essentially automatic.

Your either asking does the great creator ponder upon why they create or your asking does a natural force question its own motivations.

In scinario A its asking a creative mind why it needs to create.

In scinario B its asking the wind why it blows.

Shivani Devi 22-11-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Quoted for sheer emphasis.

Raziel 22-11-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Quoted for sheer emphasis.

:biggrin: I missed that - nice one treacle.

On many levels its a fantastic statement.

Miss Hepburn 22-11-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Hi Z,
When I saw the question I laughed...cuz how can one ever answer that! LOL:tongue:
I could only think, God is...(Just that) ...nothing else is...
This Pure Awareness...which I and many have experienced as the Void or Nothingness...except for
The One, Pure Awareness....(not Consciousness...Awareness).

But now you take it to a more interesting question ..Does God ask Itself this very ques?

My take is...maybe not why, (do I exist)...but, Who am I?
And thus, here is all of manifest creation to give God 'feedback'...since God is All That Is. (God doesn't have a mirror....someone said, ha!)

You know, a yogi once said, God is like a little boy in a garden with a magnifying glass.
What was revealed to me was a bit different, but in the same vein.
Thought you would just find that interesting, tho, off topic. :smile:

Lolly 22-11-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

I definitely do not assume that first there was nothing. Doesn't really matter if there was a nothing first, the question is about how there is a something currently. How is that even possible for there to be a something.

What do you mean?

Raziel 22-11-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolly
What do you mean?

Can of worms..

On the forum there are a few who claim divinity despite perhaps quite obviously never offering any inspiring words or insight.

It is feasible that a higher being might pepper the forum with nuggets of wisdom that allows a person to persue higher knowledge if they are so inclined to.

Leading the horse to water so to speak.

~

There are the very human seekers, who wish to ascend into a higher state of consciousness - only time will tell how fruitful that persuit is.

Ziusudra 22-11-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
When I saw the question I laughed...cuz how can one ever answer that! LOL:tongue:[/color]
I could only think, God is...(Just that) ...nothing else is...
This Pure Awareness...which I and many have experienced as the Void or Nothingness...except for
The One, Pure Awareness....(not Consciousness...Awareness).

But now you take it to a more interesting question ..Does God ask Itself this very ques?

My take is...maybe not why, (do I exist)...but, Who am I?
And thus, here is all of manifest creation to give God 'feedback'...since God is All That Is. (God doesn't have a mirror....someone said, ha!)

You know, a yogi once said, God is like a little boy in a garden with a magnifying glass.
What was revealed to me was a bit different, but in the same vein.
Thought you would just find that interesting, tho, off topic. :smile:

Hi Miss H,
Have you ever wonder what you would ask if you are having coffee/tea with your own GOD?

Beside asking GOD if it knows WHY of its existence, I will also ask "Are you happy with being a GOD?" ... because I wonder if it knows what happiness is.
People assume that their GOD (s) loves them.. Does the GOD even know what love is?

Raziel 22-11-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Beside asking GOD if it knows WHY of its existence, I will also ask "Are you happy with being a GOD?" ... because I wonder if it knows what happiness is.

God the father/creator would theoretically have created all emotion - therefore would have a far greater understanding than ourselves.

It's why I find it hard to believe in a purely smitey divine - they would have essentially invented humour therefore understand it perfectly.

~

A loving God might answer your question WHY - with "why not?"

Shivani Devi 22-11-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

What do you mean?

There is one, who despite having a human physical form, has absolutely nothing in common on any level with the rest of humanity whatsoever...she doesn't know WHAT she is and has spent her whole life trying to find out...she doesn't think or feel like a human being, has a totally different way of processing information, can see and feel things every other human she has ever met cannot..has no identity, no sense of self, no "human nature"..is not a social creature, not a competitive creature, sees through all illusion, finds it almost impossible to communicate with others, knows things directly gleaned from the Akashic Records...has an intimate relationship with Source...

Until Source says "it matters not who/what you are...just know that Brahman Alone Exists".

Ziusudra 22-11-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

God the father/creator would theoretically have created all emotion - therefore would have a far greater understanding than ourselves.

It's why I find it hard to believe in a purely smitey divine - they would have essentially invented humour therefore understand it perfectly.

~

A loving God might answer your question WHY - with "why not?"

Don't be surprised if GOD (s) do not understand human emotions.
We assume a lot of things about GOD and often blindly following without questioning.

Little Creek77 22-11-2018 05:40 PM

There is no singular entity or "God". To me the Universe is the Great Mystery of all there is. When I pray, I pray to all there is.

inavalan 22-11-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

We seem to to perceive things way differently ... :smile: We'll see ...

inavalan 22-11-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Can of worms..

On the forum there are a few who claim divinity despite perhaps quite obviously never offering any inspiring words or insight.

It is feasible that a higher being might pepper the forum with nuggets of wisdom that allows a person to persue higher knowledge if they are so inclined to.

~

There are the very human seekers, who wish to ascend into a higher state of consciousness - only time will tell how fruitful that persuit is.

How do we know who's cool and who's a fool?

Not by rationalizing, not by inspiration, not by intuition, not by feelings, ...

Turn toward inside, go deep, ask questions, be on reception for answers, don't distort the message!

Raziel 22-11-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

How do we know who's cool and who's a fool?

Not by rationalizing, not by inspiration, not by intuition, not by feelings, ...

Turn toward inside, go deep, ask questions, be on reception for answers, don't distort the message!

Are you specifically saying that I don't look inwards, have never "gone deep", am not receptive of answers or is this a general statement?

iamthat 22-11-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Creek77
There is no singular entity or "God".

This is an opinion, a belief. It is not a statement of fact.

It is good to offer opinions, but let us not confuse them with facts.

Peace.

iamthat 22-11-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I could go into Hindu philosophy and discuss the nature of Purusha and Prakriti, but I will spare you that....]

Indeed, we could discuss how the Absolute manifests as Purusha (Spirit) and Prakriti (Matter), although some might use the term Mulaprakriti (Primordial Matter). This gives rise to consciousness and the various planes of Arupa (formlessness) and Rupa (form).

But all this is an explanation of how Creation comes into manifestation. It does not explain why Creation exists, let alone why a Creator might exist.

Peace.

Moonglow 22-11-2018 08:11 PM

Hello,

Just placing a general inquiry.

Could it be, the reason for God or anything to exist is that one experiences it in existence?

Meaning, how it may be felt, observed, thought to be, ect., all seems to blend and form an existence of some kind. Why, seems to vary in answering or asking another, IMO. Yet, there is an existence there just the same, yes?

Reason and/purpose seem to form in regards to what is experienced and how these are related to or not.

It is interesting to see the different view points and all seem to form reason(s) for its existence. But, what one finds for oneself, with in oneself seems to give the clues and possibly for some the answer at present.

Atleast, this is how it seems to me.

There seems no right or wrong answer in general. Only perspective and insights
And what seems to me ones own experience which suppose give reason to existence in some ways.

Shivani Devi 22-11-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
Indeed, we could discuss how the Absolute manifests as Purusha (Spirit) and Prakriti (Matter), although some might use the term Mulaprakriti (Primordial Matter). This gives rise to consciousness and the various planes of Arupa (formlessness) and Rupa (form).

But all this is an explanation of how Creation comes into manifestation. It does not explain why Creation exists, let alone why a Creator might exist.

Peace.

Let's hypothesise for a moment...let's say that Shiva (Consciousness) did not create anything except for Shakti (Maya) and then Maya created everything - would the creator of Maya be the one who also created the universe? Does Nirguna/Nirupa Brahman give rise to Saguna Brahman or does non duality truly exist beyond duality?

As to why God exists, only God knows that. We all could speculate...and we'd all be wrong.

inavalan 23-11-2018 03:43 AM

Quote:

Are you specifically saying that I don't look inwards, have never "gone deep", am not receptive of answers or is this a general statement?

No. It was a general comment, derived from what you wrote:

Quote:

Can of worms..

It is feasible that a higher being might

~

There are the very human seekers, who wish to ascend into a higher state of consciousness - only time will tell how fruitful that pursuit is.

I meant that one can't know whose claims are true, and whose are false.

Also, I believe that "higher beings' don't play games, they never "pepper the forum with nuggets of wisdom that allows a person to pursue higher knowledge if they are so inclined to".

When they do so, "higher beings" give full guidance, it is us that aren't tuned and don't get their message, get only bits, or distort it.

So, my post wasn't assuming anything about what you do, as I don't know what you do. I hope it's clear now.

Ziusudra 23-11-2018 04:59 AM

When we think about WHY GOD (s) exists, we have to weight in the fact that GOD has many names.

The concept of GOD exists at the most primitive tribes to the most advanced civilizations.
GOD has changed and evolved with its existence throughout our human history.
More likely, GOD probably exists among alien beings in other planets in this multiverse.

At least on this earth, the concept of GOD is interwoven into social and culture foundations.
Our histories are shaped and changed by the name of these GODs. - Many wars are waged under the name of GOD, even today.

Even you are atheist, you are still living in the society and culture where these GOD (s) reside.
Basically GOD is everywhere. - whether its yours, mine, or others.

Ziusudra 23-11-2018 04:59 AM

........dup dup

wstein 23-11-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

What do you mean?

A lot of this was covered by other posters.

Firstly and most importantly, many are spirit beings inhabiting a human body. They are under no illusion that they are actually the body they perceive the world through.

Yet more are various energy beings that have acquired a human body or synthesized a reasonable facsimile for the purposes of interacting and not drawing too much attention to themselves. They come from other parts of the Milky Way, other galaxies in this universe, other dimensions/universes/planes. Actual humans are not kind to other species so its a good idea to fit in.

Then there are some channeled beings facilitated locally by the being that types on the computer for them.

Really, all you see here is some text on a screen that was written some minutes, hours, days, or millennia ago/from now. Many a type of being could have typed or otherwise input that message.