Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-08-2024, 05:19 AM
Master

“To those who have had the experience no explanation is necessary, to those who have not, none is possible.”

That's more positive than the thoughts rumbling into my mind.
Old 08-08-2024, 07:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
“To those who have had the experience no explanation is necessary, to those who have not, none is possible.”
I personally prefer "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." .
I'm curious
Old 10-08-2024, 07:18 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
I personally prefer "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." .
I'm curious

Curious does not go with faith does it? Well I think not "blind faith" expression but then faith's meaning is pretty much the same as "blind faith." It is a complete trust and belief in something or somebody without proof. But then we do have a lot of strong evidence of a lot of things using heuristics, logic, observation, experience, related knowledge and more. So I think one may say they believe due to "faith" when really it's much more than that. Probably cultural and religious conditioning plays into it, (as one cannot believe in something that has not been invented by somebody.) Like one could not have faith in some spiritual authority if one had not been exposed to beliefs about this entity.

I think of "curious" as open minded. One formal definition is: 1. eager to learn something. Faith is something one already knows or strongly believes in so I think not open to be questioned. So not open to "learn" (curious) as one already knows or believes what is. Like if somebody said, "I have complete faith in Buddha's teachings but I'm open and curious to hear about others teachings to see if they are better." To me that would mean they don't have complete faith in what they have faith in.

Oh that saying "curiosity killed the cat." Cats go crazy when they spot a high place they have never checked out before. They have to get up there and see what's there as they are very curious to know what is there. Curious is a "wanting to know" not already know.
Old 10-08-2024, 08:17 AM
Master
Faith imo is a 'state of mind' and I'm curious about how/why these states of mind arise then dissipate, the only 'Faith' I have is that everything is in constant flux.....
Old 10-08-2024, 12:52 PM
Experiencer
Seems like 'curious' is wanting to know, and 'faith' is trusting in what isn't known.
Old 10-08-2024, 03:11 PM
Master

I wonder if both curiosity and faith are things of ego? Or would they be "true self" type attributes? Seems to me my drive is to be conflict free and at peace within and without and just to be happy. To enjoy this moment and the days of my life. To laugh! To experience fun in life and joy and beauty in nature.

Like a lot of things in spirituality, I think it's not about directly seeking happiness as a doing, it is about becoming aware of what we are doing that is preventing it. I think that is one thing that may be a "truth" in spirituality that the things we are seeking we already have in a way. When we stop doing things that lead to unhappiness, we naturally and without effort are at peace within and without and in joy.

Our true selves, which are connected to the perfect peaceful harmonious one, reside in perfect bliss and peace. I think this perfect peace and harmony is not experienced always because we are concerned with this body and it's mind and this world. When we are non-attached to our very selves, not self centered, not trying to control things, not trying to get or achieve anything, and just accept all things as they are without any resistance mental or otherwise, the peace is there as it has always been.

In one way, faith is about belief I think, and belief to me does not have to be a part of the now, one can focus on bliss peace experience only without one thought or belief about anything. Without words being present or entertained. Since total peace within and without can 100% be known as an experience, this knowledge is not based on something that has no proof. So then I guess it is not based on faith. I know because I have experienced it.

But then somebody who has never caught a glimpse of this total peace has to take it on faith it exists. I've had a few experiences showing amazing states of consciousness are possible, but they have been brief and I have not been able to make them last a long time. So I guess I have faith as well in the sense of I have faith I will find a way or path to have them more often and for longer periods.

Also a lot of mystics and spiritual and religious authorities speak about these amazing profound transforming experiences. A few say "revolutions in consciousness." With the few "glimpses" I have had of other higher states of consciousness, I have faith they exist. I guess I have faith in this way but it is partly based on experience. I think like this experience I am having here and now. I believe it is not the only way I could be experiencing this here and now as I have had experiences where I transcend into a new way to be here now. I think this now can be experienced in higher ways.

I think experience is largely a result of what we are focusing on with our attention. In any given moment, we can be focusing on our thoughts and mind or we can somehow focus on the now and not include our thoughts and mind. Just that transforms how the now is experienced which determines what it "is" for us. It also changes who and what we are and what we do. Like that Zen teaching that says when sweeping just sweep. One Zen monk could be sweeping while thinking about a guest who made him mad. So feeling angry and upset. Another Zen monk could also be sweeping thinking about nothing at all and just focusing on the breeze, the smell of the flowers in the air, feeling joy, smiling. Both are doing the exact same thing, sweeping. But due to where they have their attention, their experiences are completely different and who and what they are is different. One is manifesting the source of peace and love the other is manifesting ego. Projecting source or ego. Experiencing source or ego.
Old 10-08-2024, 05:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcup7
Seems like 'curious' is wanting to know, and 'faith' is trusting in what isn't known.

I think 'Faith' involves visualisation....
Old 10-09-2024, 06:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12

Altair… “existence of externally heavenly and hellish realms is a mainstream belief in eastern religion.”

It seems to me that it is a belief in most religions and not just the eastern ones.
Drove past a Baptist Church today. Beside the Church was a place selling the big, outdoor spirit houses found in SE Asia.
There, at the Spirit Houses, it is common to see shots of whiskey and various food provided as food offerings along with Hell money for the deceased.

If the decease(s) smoke, cigarettes are generally provided.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜