Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 15-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Deactivated Account

vegan diet making appetite shrink

is it common for when you transition to a vegan diet for your appetite to start shrinking. it's quite odd,i thought if anything i'd be hungrier at first but i find myself getting full very quickly and consuming a lot less calories(which that part i understand).
Old 15-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
No, I haven't noticed that happening. But I didn't go to vegan straight from meat-eating, but from a mainly vegetarian diet (including eggs, and cheese, and very occasionally, fish). I gave up meat many years ago.
So my appetite is generally the same as it was when vegetarian.

I do find, though, that if my meals haven't contained enough protein, I do crave it, and can't stop snacking on nuts. peanut butter etc. Then I'll look back and see what I've eaten for the day didn't really have enough protein.
Same with carbs. If I haven't eaten enough, I will have to top-up with some toast or potatoes.
It seems my body will tell me what I need.

But one thing will have an effect on my appetite and that is how much physical work I do each day. If less, I get a little less hungry. If more, I need to eat more.

Maybe your appetite has decreased because it's your body's way of telling you that all the nutrients you need are being supplied. Do you find you now eat more fruit and vegetables than you did before, and basically have a healthier diet?
Old 16-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
No, I haven't noticed that happening. But I didn't go to vegan straight from meat-eating, but from a mainly vegetarian diet (including eggs, and cheese, and very occasionally, fish). I gave up meat many years ago.
So my appetite is generally the same as it was when vegetarian.

I do find, though, that if my meals haven't contained enough protein, I do crave it, and can't stop snacking on nuts. peanut butter etc. Then I'll look back and see what I've eaten for the day didn't really have enough protein.
Same with carbs. If I haven't eaten enough, I will have to top-up with some toast or potatoes.
It seems my body will tell me what I need.

But one thing will have an effect on my appetite and that is how much physical work I do each day. If less, I get a little less hungry. If more, I need to eat more.

Maybe your appetite has decreased because it's your body's way of telling you that all the nutrients you need are being supplied. Do you find you now eat more fruit and vegetables than you did before, and basically have a healthier diet?

yeah,i am transitioning from vegetarian to vegan as well. i was vegetarian for about 14 years. as for eating more fruits and vegetables,not really. but,maybe i am getting a little more nutrients from before by trading the cheese foods i would eat to non cheese.
i hadn't eaten much all day,and was very hungry and then had an apple. before finishing it,i felt full.i like it,but it is unlike me.i feel usually an apple would be far from enough to fill me up. lol.
Old 16-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Experiencer
When I skipped cheese from my diet I skipped the last part of dairy with it. And then all of a sudden my body was able to get access to my fat reserves. Without hardly any effort at all my body started losing weight. I could not believe what happened. All those years before I tried to lose weight but nothing worked and now that I skipped cheese and dairy as a whole it went like for free. That was like paradise.
That went on until my BMI was just a little over 25. I am now trying to get it to somewhere around 22-23 and this does take a little effort, I skip lunch every other day. But I take care my blood sugar level stays in balance so I don't feel any hunger at all.

I am quite happy with the peace I now have in my body. That was something I always longed for when I still ate meat. I always felt hungry back then and that is now completely gone. That's heaven.
When my body tells me to eat, I eat too. But that is something different from feeling hungry all the time.
Old 16-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogenblue
When I skipped cheese from my diet I skipped the last part of dairy with it. And then all of a sudden my body was able to get access to my fat reserves. Without hardly any effort at all my body started losing weight. I could not believe what happened. All those years before I tried to lose weight but nothing worked and now that I skipped cheese and dairy as a whole it went like for free. That was like paradise.
That went on until my BMI was just a little over 25. I am now trying to get it to somewhere around 22-23 and this does take a little effort, I skip lunch every other day. But I take care my blood sugar level stays in balance so I don't feel any hunger at all.

I am quite happy with the peace I now have in my body. That was something I always longed for when I still ate meat. I always felt hungry back then and that is now completely gone. That's heaven.
When my body tells me to eat, I eat too. But that is something different from feeling hungry all the time.
i feel like my weight should naturally fall off too then since i'm also consuming much less calories without trying it just naturally is less fattening and high in calories the foods i am now eating. i am really enjoying it. i read after posting this,it could be because my body is now getting more fiber. i also notice i mysteriously don't crave after i eat. this may sound bad,but i like it,but i'm also finding food to be less "important" in a way of like taste. like,i used to feel the need to satisfy cravings so much,where that is much less now. i feel there is so much more to life then food is terms of taste anyways to feel good. i actually hope i'm not getting too upper chakra focused as i was also feeling very slightly like sex is not as important either. lol. but,i do want to date,and definitely do not want to give that up.i have no desire to give up very physical pleasures like that,but i now can see why some do and are happy with it. i've been doing a lot more physical exercise as well which is keeping me lower chakra open so that's good.i need that balance i think.

megan fox,who i dislike,said in an interview about if you don't want to be fat,be dairy-free.i know that's controversial and a lot of people will disagree but that actually makes a lot of sense to me.i can really see how more then anything else,if someone quit dairy,the weight would slide right off.
Old 16-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Deactivated Account
Its what works for you, a vegan diet might not work for one, but work for another.
Old 16-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Experiencer
Years ago I read in the book of Atkins diet that after having meat with dinner your insuline level peaks and that causes your feelings of craving for food. When I was in my late forties I had serious problems with that: having consumed a complete full saturating meal and just 10 minutes later craving for food as if I hadn't eaten at all. I got really sick and tired of that so that was an important reason for me to seriously change my diet.

Now that I have changed to vegetarian and moved on to a veganistic diet I learn more and more about my body and how sensitive it responds to the kind of food I consume. I learn a lot from looking around on internet and also learn that you should not trust every source of information overhere. Not even sources that should be supposed to be trusted. The most important thing is to listen to your own body and figure out for yourself if the information you get here and there makes sense to you and fit in your personal experience world.

Just a few months ago I learned that coconut has a stabilizing effect on your blood sugar level and so does oats. So I now have those things on an almost daily basis in my diet and my experience is that I don't feel hungry anymore, don't have a need for snacks between meals and only now and then have a need to snack something in the middle of the night. But that does not stop me from losing weight.

Some trusted and respected website here in Holland about food says coconut is bad because it has so much saturated fats and claims about the health benefits have not been proven. Last week I stumbled upon a site that said that that particular website is co-sponsored by the dairy industry and therefore you should not expect that website to openly distance themselves from dairy or particularly favor dairy-free alternatives.

I think sex may become less important when you get older, physical sex, for most people, but the drive itself is an essential part of life and maybe the quality of having sex may shift to perhaps a more spiritual kind of experience. But that's my personal experience. Basically I don't feel like giving up such physical pleasures either. It's too inherent.
That's how I got here on the physical plane in the first place....
Old 11-07-2014, 07:56 PM
sweetbeefaerie

I noticed this almost immediately when I first started my transition. I still have a lot less of an appetite and that has made it a lot easier than I expected on my grocery bill. I was nervous about having to buy more food than usual and healthy food is so much more expensive it seems like, but it's been about the same budget-wise.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbeefaerie
I noticed this almost immediately when I first started my transition. I still have a lot less of an appetite and that has made it a lot easier than I expected on my grocery bill. I was nervous about having to buy more food than usual and healthy food is so much more expensive it seems like, but it's been about the same budget-wise.
You know,me too! Vegan diet has been about the same,to even a little less. I don't know what people are talking about vegan diet being more expensive but perhaps i'd rather not know. Well,actually,i think i heard one theory is because it's those who buy a lot of those fake meat and fake dairy products. I haven't done that because it's not what I want.

"Change is the only constant."
Old 16-07-2014, 02:06 PM
sweetbeefaerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle239
You know,me too! Vegan diet has been about the same,to even a little less. I don't know what people are talking about vegan diet being more expensive but perhaps i'd rather not know. Well,actually,i think i heard one theory is because it's those who buy a lot of those fake meat and fake dairy products. I haven't done that because it's not what I want.

Yeah I started out buying a few of those things, but I actually ended up really not liking a lot of it. I still buy the cheddar flavored sliced cheese, and occasionally the shredded mozzarella cheese stuff if I'm having a hankering, but beyond that yeah I don't like much of it. I tried this tempeh maple bacon stuff and I wanted to vomit. It was so gross...