Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-07-2021, 07:18 PM
Deactivated Account
A link to A Survey of Buddhism:-

http://www.windhorsepublications.com...uddhism-ebook/
Old 27-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice

A bit like Wei Wu Wei.
Mybe as an Aristocrat He did as less as possible or nothing at all
Old 27-07-2021, 07:50 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
What is it with these names?

Part of it is related to joining a new "spiritual" community or wanting to abandon an old identity or have a new identity. Some is ego related as well I assume.

Like Donald Walters changed his name to Swami Kriyananda. A lot of people in his community changed their English names to Indian ones. Debbie becomes Saraswati and on and on.

The name Donald Walters is not as impressive as Swami Kriyananda.
Dennis is not as impressive as something like Sangharaksnita.

The name has to match the hype in some cases. If one is presenting themselves as a great enlightened spiritual teacher one needs a name to match.

It exists in pop culture as well. For actors, for musicians, for artists.

Reginald Dwight changed his name to Elton John
Stefani Germanotta became Lady Gaga
Marion Morrison became John Wayne

That book Journey of Souls seemed to say we all have a soul or astral world name. I guess we remember it when we die.
Old 27-07-2021, 08:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky

I was a Roman Catholic Monk for a few years and we would be given a new Christian name at some point in the vow process. Doesn't make much sense when we already have a Christian name though.
Didn't they explain the change of name, strange.
Taking on a new name is symbolic of entering into a new place in your life, for Nuns it's symbolic of entering into a new life as a Bride of Christ....
Old 27-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Mybe as an Aristocrat He did as less as possible or nothing at all

Look up "The Harlequinade". Easily found by googling. I've found it worth reading. (In the book "Ask the Awakened")

Old 27-07-2021, 08:52 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky

The name has to match the hype in some cases. If one is presenting themselves as a great enlightened spiritual teacher one needs a name to match.

I guess The Cobbler just doesn't cut it, especially the "apprentice" part.

Old 27-07-2021, 08:59 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Didn't they explain the change of name, strange.
Taking on a new name is symbolic of entering into a new place in your life, for Nuns it's symbolic of entering into a new life as a Bride of Christ....

Thomas Merton was Father Louis in the monastery. His attempt at impressing others faltered when he attended the ordination of an old friend. Merton (or Father Louis), with another mate, sat opposite a group of nuns and became rather tiddly on imbibing a few drinks. He almost fell off his chair, causing disapproving looks from the nuns. Merton commented:- "Another pillar of the church had fallen."
Old 28-07-2021, 06:24 AM
Master
Quote:
He almost fell off his chair, causing disapproving looks from the nuns. Merton commented:- "Another pillar of the church had fallen."
. Reminds me of a story an old friend told me . She worked in a Rest Home for elderly Nuns, Her 'One to one' was put into a Convent in France after running away to join a Troupe of Can Can Dancers, occasionally She would go missing and would be found in the Church on site practicing the Can Can down the isle with a bottle of Vodka in Her hands, they never found out who provided the Alcohol but later found empty bottles hidden around Her bedroom
Old 28-07-2021, 06:48 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
. Reminds me of a story an old friend told me . She worked in a Rest Home for elderly Nuns, Her 'One to one' was put into a Convent in France after running away to join a Troupe of Can Can Dancers, occasionally She would go missing and would be found in the Church on site practicing the Can Can down the isle with a bottle of Vodka in Her hands, they never found out who provided the Alcohol but later found empty bottles hidden around Her bedroom

Good story!

(Merton always loved his Olly, as he called it, although in short supply in the monastery)

Old 28-07-2021, 07:46 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
I guess The Cobbler just doesn't cut it, especially the "apprentice" part.

yea to be a teacher you need to be "Swami Cobbleranadaji"