Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:38 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Views are very important in Buddhism,

Buddha said to hold views means one is not living the holy life. Buddha said one must leave the raft behind.

Does the English version of the eightfold path use the words "Right View" yes. Does that mean we ignore Buddha's teaching that one should not hold views? No.

Don't forget this is all about a way to be and live. In this now moment. In this here and now. Right now to hold no views. To be here now, and to experience this now as it is, before we interpret it according to our ego, our conditioning etc.

The eightfold path is a description in words of a way to be. The way to be Buddha pointed to or was. It involves right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right samadhi or union with truth or the divine.

In early Buddhism, these practices started with understanding that the body-mind works in a corrupted way (right view), followed by entering the Buddhist path of self-observance, self-restraint, and cultivating kindness and compassion; and culminating in dhyana or samadhi, which reinforces these practices for the development of the body-mind. In later Buddhism, insight (prajñā) became the central soteriological instrument, leading to a different concept and structure of the path, in which the "goal" of the Buddhist path came to be specified as ending ignorance and rebirth.

As others have said, a lot of Buddhist's see the eightfold path as a teaching for beginners or children. Advanced Buddhism deals with the practice of being selfless, egoless, without "anyone" there to have a view.

Teachings are intended to point so one can have insights and realizations into the nature of reality and themselves. One should not cling to teachings. One should not be attached to teachings. Leave the raft behind and live it, be it. Selfless. Here now without one view, or one opinion. Just here as conscious awareness. As one "awake."

Was Buddha a Buddhist? No. He was awake. He did not write down one teaching anywhere or anytime. His way of being was the teaching. Others came later and wanted to try to contain truth in words, in books, in suttas, in a religion, truth cannot be held in any of these things. Truth is not in any of these things. Truth is what we are in the here and now, in this present moment.

Is my attention in a view, in an opinion, in a thought or free of these things? Up to me.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Buddha said to hold views means one is not living the holy life. Buddha said one must leave the
Your ' Views' in your Post above are lengthy
Old 02-08-2021, 06:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayar415
No amount of explanation will suffice. Sky must be thrown off the cliff with both hands free like a baby bird learning to fly.
No explaination is needed, experiences are suffice....
Old 02-08-2021, 06:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
No, you are playing with words.
All that has said about holding no views is important at a very fundamental level.
We will have to disagree.
No problem on disagreements

Sammaditthi Sutta: Right View.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....009.than.html

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/right-view/
Old 02-08-2021, 06:36 AM
Deactivated Account
You never known where a thread will go. The pathless path! The way of no-calculation. The wind blows where it will.......

I tend to let go, viewless, but do seek clarity of mind. Or "faith seeking understanding".

As I see it, the sutta speaks of the Middle Way, not a position between two extremes but a no-position that transcends all positions. I do not like the word "transcends" (as if it is "above" anything) but it can indicate that the Middle Way is not "fixed", a place to be found once and for all, but is on-going, a constant becoming. It is "effortlessness", wu wei, or in theistic terms, "loving God and doing what you will." It is ever new, the " appropriate statement", appropriate for one moment only......then it is gone. Nothing to hold onto.

"Faith" (the Pure Land way, faith not as a means of salvation but simply salvation itself) and "belief" are to me total opposites. Faith "lets go" while belief (or if you prefer, "views") cling. Beliefs can be used to "justify" ourselves.

The Great Way is not difficult for those without preferences.

I'm not really sure just how all this relates to "Right View" of the Buddhist Path. It could have to do with the Two Truths, to the raft and when to leave it behind......it can all get a bit foggy when I leave pure faith.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Master
Cula-Malunkya sutta, sometimes referred to as Cula-Malunkyovada sutta, is a great source that teaches us why we should not follow the notions that would divert us away from the final goal and lead us to further suffering.

This Link may help someone understand the Sutta.
http://www.dailynews.lk/2017/06/08/f...ning-suffering
Old 02-08-2021, 07:21 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Cula-Malunkya sutta, sometimes referred to as Cula-Malunkyovada sutta, is a great source that teaches us why we should not follow the notions that would divert us away from the final goal and lead us to further suffering.

This Link may help someone understand the Sutta.
http://www.dailynews.lk/2017/06/08/f...ning-suffering

Yes, that is understood.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Yes, that is understood.
Meet you in Costa about 11ish, we can air our 'Views' over a Coffee I'll Pay, everyone is welcome
Old 02-08-2021, 10:26 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Meet you in Costa about 11ish, we can air our 'Views' over a Coffee I'll Pay, everyone is welcome

Sorry, I'd been and gone by then.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Sorry, I'd been and gone by then.

Here you go then, an extra one
Closed Thread