Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-03-2024, 09:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Then if one does not have free will criticism is impossible……

I think criticism could take place, but the cause of it is the issue as far as free will goes? I will reason it out. If a friend showed up with terrible hair color, do we have the free will to say something or not? If we say something (criticize) or not I assume that would be based on our conditioning and experience. So then it's not really a free will choice as the brain makes it. Circumstances + conditioning = brain response and action. So I think criticism could take place without free will (or could not - maybe fear is there of her getting mad from saying something - so conditioning prevents criticism) The "impulse" to do or not do would be thought and brain/ego generated. From conditioning and so on. So no free will and criticism could take place in my view.

But imagine we are in a state of mindfulness where our attention is not on or in thought. We would see the new hair color but since the attention is not on a brain response we could not criticize. Understanding is not verbal or word based in my view (I understand it as pre-verbal) so one would know the hair color is unique and does not fit in with norms. But to make some "criticism" makes no sense to me as I am not in judging mind. I have the external without the internal conditioned interpretation. I am dealing with reality content and not mind generated opinion. The hair color just "is" like the flowers and the trash. But then I can also understand social/cultural norms and expectations as non-verbal knowledge and so "know" without words if we go into some formal event where her hair color stands out some may make comments about her hair. But then in mindfulness, comments also leave no mark or care. So again no reason or motive or impulse or content there to criticize.

So I am thinking at the moment one in true deep mindfulness cannot criticize. But then one can ask such a person their opinion and whether or not the mindful person wants to entertain mind would determine if they offer one or not. It's not like one is locked into mindfulness. One can go in and out of it instantly. Like when Buddha was asked if he was God or man, and assuming he was in a non-conceptual or mindfulness state, his answer of "I am awake" means he was unwilling or uninterested in leaving his mindfulness state (one could say mindless state or non-conceptual state as well I think. Lot's of words work to point to "it".)

Last edited by Maisy : 05-03-2024 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:37 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Im not so sure that the Dalai Lama visits McD...

No, he never understood the pizza joke until his interpreter stepped in!

I have a string of small wooden beads.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
Yea I think if ego popped up while one was mindful one would just observe it. It would have no power or effect.
Totally...
Old 06-03-2024, 06:15 AM
Master
Where mindfulness is concerned, will is put to 'right effort'. In one way it's to banish negative mindstates and foster positivity, and in another sense it's focus, determination, persistence. For example, when it's meditation time and you're like, I don't feel like it, I'm too tired and other empty excuses, that's negative mind. Having overcome that, notice how 'I' (me mine my) is the at the centre of the aversion, and when you meditate as you determined you would, give it 100% effort.

For the meditator, effort is particular, so think like Yoda, "There is no try". There just Is.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:12 AM
Master
Excerpts taken from Q&A.What is mindfulness Dalai Lama? November 13, 2022. |

What does it mean to be mindful in Buddhism?
Mindfulness is a technique extracted from Buddhism where one tries to notice present thoughts, feeling and sensations without judgement. The aim is to create a state of “bare awareness”.

What are the 3 qualities of mindfulness?
In general, they seek to develop three key characteristics of mindfulness: Intention to cultivate awareness (and return to it again and again) Attention to what is occurring in the present moment (simply observing thoughts, feelings, sensations as they arise) Attitude that is non-judgmental, curious, and kind.

What is the meaning of being mindful?
Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment, through a gentle, nurturing lens.

HHDL.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:27 AM
Master

Sky……” Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment, through a gentle, nurturing lens.”

Wonderful. End of story. Lol
Old 06-03-2024, 03:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Sky……” Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment, through a gentle, nurturing lens.”

Wonderful. End of story. Lol

Until the next chapter You must be an expert on the practise of Mind-fullness after all the years you've spent in that state while producing your Masterpieces...
Old 06-03-2024, 07:52 PM
Master

I would guess knowing your true nature would be a good idea too. Otherwise mindfulness is just something the ego does. But that's not a bad thing as one will be a happier ego. But then yea they may still be a pain to others lol. And on the cycle of rebirth still.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:48 AM
Master

SKY. wow never thought of it that way! but I think you are right, as you do get into “the zone” when you paint.
Old 07-03-2024, 07:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
SKY. wow never thought of it that way! but I think you are right, as you do get into “the zone” when you paint.

I presume you become one with your brush as it moves across the Canvas whilst concentrating wholly on each stroke, moment to moment...