Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
[color="Green"]Sorry but there IS a general understanding by what is meant by ego that we commonly share.
The ego can't be 'minimised' if there is no clear understanding of what the ego is and how it works. If you're minimising something you may as well imagined? The mainstream 'ego' is a common, shared Chinese Whisper so basing Spiritual understanding of Spirituality on that it talks of the lack of authenticity and understanding.

Having 'transcended' the ego is egoism, associating with Spirituality can be a Spirituality based on egoism and the seeking of status. Egoism becomes the paradigm and internal reality becomes relative to that, so egoism can become the foundation of all that is held dear.

It's not Spiritual, it's a mess. And the real answer is what are the reasons you accept the mainstream 'version' of ego? For me personally, I went with Buddha in that I question everything because I need to be authentic as possible. That's how my ego works, I need something more than face value.
Old 14-02-2022, 12:46 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
The ego can't be 'minimised' if there is no clear understanding of what the ego is and how it works. If you're minimising something you may as well imagined? The mainstream 'ego' is a common, shared Chinese Whisper so if you base your Spiritual understanding of Spirituality on that, it talks of the lack of authenticity and understanding.

Having 'transcended' the ego is egoism, associating with Spirituality can be a Spirituality based on egoism and the seeking of status. Egoism becomes the paradigm and internal reality becomes relative top that.

It's not Spiritual, it's a mess. And the real answer is what are the reasons you accept the mainstream 'version' of ego? For me personally, I went with Buddha in that I question everything because I need to be authentic as possible. That's how my ego works, I need something more than face value.
I beg to differ! Our self, in the way we project it, CAN be minimised. Of course it can! There is a world of difference between someone egocentric, pre-occupied with themselves and someone who is primarily focused on the concerns of others.

Also, on your last point, questioning everything is not the same thing as being authentic. To have an enquiring mind does not necessarily entail being honest/truthful in interactions with others. Sorry but your thinking frequently reveals muddled associations.
Old 14-02-2022, 12:53 PM
Master
I'm curious. What is this common understanding about the ego that we all share?
Old 14-02-2022, 12:59 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
A person's sense of self...along these lines! Would you disagree?
Old 14-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Master
Quote:
A person's sense of self...along these lines! Would you disagree?

No, that works for me.
Old 14-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
No you don't understand. Ego has been the subject of so many threads where people have waxed Spiritual about something they simply don't understand and think it's Spirituality. They don't want to know that they're fooling themselves.

Aren't we supposed to be looking for understanding, and how is making up any old nonsense conducive to that?

Is there any wonder accusations of not understanding are made when folk use the same words to mean wholly different things?

Or choose to spell them with capital letters implying they mean something different and special?
Old 14-02-2022, 02:13 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Isn't that an assumption?
Old 14-02-2022, 02:19 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
[color="Green"]I beg to differ! Our self, in the way we project it, CAN be minimised. Of course it can! There is a world of difference between someone egocentric, pre-occupied with themselves and someone who is primarily focused on the concerns of others.
'Self' is another mess, and what most call the self is the ego. Some, on the other hand, create a persona or a mask as the self.

Yes there is a difference between someone who is egocentric and someone who is focussed on the concerns of others but both of those are relative to one's ego. But that is not about minimising, that's about 'contents' - the 'contents' of the egocentric ego is different to the 'contents' of . It's about who and what we perceive ourselves to be and that's the understanding.

If there's no real understanding of the ego then ego-less only becomes egoism, and I guess you can work out the implications - and the irony - of that.

Sorry but it's your perceptions of what I've said are muddled. An enquiring mind and authenticity aren't the same thing, nor is it being truthful or honest. Neither of which I've tried to imply nor say. I try to ne as authentic as I can be, and an enquiring mind helps me understand certain subjects more comprehensively.
Old 14-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It's the bad guy, the root of all evil.
Old 14-02-2022, 02:31 PM
Deactivated Account
Words are the roots of many of humankind's woes.....
Closed Thread