Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Master

Birds

I'm intrigued by birds, I see them, I hear them, I watch them fly and swoop and flutter and hovver.

But I don't know which is which.

Any ideas on which is a good way to learn which is which? I have birdsong CDs but I'm struggling.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Gracey

Me and my main squeeze were looking at bird books at my dads today. all kinds were listed in it, along with all kinds of info...and pictures of them too.

i am not real good at telling which is which when i hear them, but my honey is teaching me. the most fascinating sound is from the cat bird, just cause it sounds like a cat.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Deactivated Account

Maybe do a google search for birds in your specific district or county. I have bird books,but for me, I don't feel they are as easy and quick to find answers.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Dante1709

Buy a field guide ; I like Sibleys but there are many more.
Try to find some nearby woods or known birding sites, and just walk around. You don't even need binoculars (I just use my super zoom camera). Just observe them and eventually by experience you will learn.

Engaging with the animals, whether it be volunteer work, photography..etc just naturally builds up experience that helps identify. It's a long process to start identify multiple birds ; I still don't know much about nightjars, sandpipers or warblers. But after a while you get the hang of the basic birds, and you learn the difference between the different groups.

Most birders carry guides with them to pin point the species. It's very, very useful to have a camera, because just a simple tail-feather can help distinguish certain species. Don't expect to identify the right species every time ; just go with the flow.

I would be glad to help you identify birds for you by photos, or do anything I can to help! Just drop me a PM :)
Old 07-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Master

Thank you all!

It's going to take patience, not my forte, I want to know them all NOW!

I love listening to bird call. The other day I was coming home and it was quiet. There was a bird in one tree chirrupping and then came a response - it sounded like a very different bird and the response was across the road. I wondered what they were saying.

Her: "Honey, you get on out of the pub right now and bring me a worm, the kids are starving."
Him: "OH sweetie, I've just got to buy Mr Blackbird a drink to thank him for the snail the other day, and I can't let him drink alone"
Her: "if you don't come home right now, you're sleeping on the sofa"
Him: "We don't have a sofa, we are birds and we live in a nest in a tree" ...

I love watching them soar, I see lots of birds of prey.

I think the fave I saw at the weekend was black and white with a long red curved beak. It was bigger than a sparrow, smaller than a magpie but the beak was humungeous.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Master

Ah it was an OysterCatcher: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...her/index.aspx
Old 07-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Razberri92

There are tons of good bird watching books that will help you identify different kinds of birds. I've been bird watching since I was tiny. They're amazing creatures!
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Master
Belle--

You might pay attention to which ones make themselves known to you each day. Sometimes one will stand in front of you or fly in the window.

Then when you look them up, you might look it up in terms of it's spiritual meaning. I used Native American interpretations but you can use any that make sense to you.

Then you begin to see the birds as spiritual messengers and it's easier to keep the identifications in your mind.

But, honestly, for all the years I've been watching birds, I still can't keep their names or calls in my mind sometimes. But eventually I get there I guess.

Lora
Old 07-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Master

They do have bird books but you will need to find one for your area. The big glossy colorful pages are done well and as time goes on you will be able to identify the birds you sight. I've marked up my books with tabs so I can easily reference the ones I've spotted in my back yard.

Yes, birds are fascinating...that's why I have ducks!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleWalker
Belle--

You might pay attention to which ones make themselves known to you each day. Sometimes one will stand in front of you or fly in the window.

Then when you look them up, you might look it up in terms of it's spiritual meaning. I used Native American interpretations but you can use any that make sense to you.

Then you begin to see the birds as spiritual messengers and it's easier to keep the identifications in your mind.

But, honestly, for all the years I've been watching birds, I still can't keep their names or calls in my mind sometimes. But eventually I get there I guess.

Lora

That leapt out at me! I saw another oyster catcher today and like you said, it made itself known / I was drawn to it. I was wondering why I was drawn to learn about birds but as spiritual messengers, I need to learn to understand. I'm sure my interpretation earlier was inaccurate.