Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Master
I stop eating meat but now I'm having sugar cravings?

Ok I was fine before when I used to eat meat and I always love my sweets but now that I'm not eating meat I actually don't crave meat but I crave sweets and its on a daily basis "its actually annoying me" . I just want sweets mainly cookies, cakes and of course lots of soda. By which I feel like I'm not making a good healthy choice, I stop eating meat but I'm eating more sweets so it doesn't help. Anyone experience the same as me when stop eating meat? or any advice on how to stop craving sugar?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 AM
Deactivated Account

Edit: sorry I just realized this was the vegan/Vegetarian section. *blush* My advice was not vegan oreitned, Lol. I would recommend seeing a nutritionist.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 AM
Master
I think it would be helpful for others to give you more help with this, if you were to give us a sample of what you eat in a day. To help see if you are missing something that your body needs.

You need an optimum ratio of protein, carbs, healthy fats to maintain balance.

Meat is also very grounding and can be a comfort food for some. As is sweets. So it is possible that you switched one comfort food for another.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Experiencer
It happened to me when i quit eating meat,and still happens,since i've always loved sweets.What helps is not buying cakes or cookies,but dark chocolate,the higher cocoa%,the better.With time the craving for something sweet decreases.
The better option is raw cocoa with a little brown cane sugar,agave or molasses.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Suspended
I have found drinking pints of plain water helpful. It fills me up and reduces the cravings. Also eating fruit such as bananas, apples and dates (yum) instead of sweets is better. If I get to the point where I need 'sweets' then I tend to choose natural licorice.

Oh, one thing I just remembered. A heck of a lot of sweets have meat products in them. The ordinary bog-standard licorice is not vegetarian, so I have to buy a particular brand of soft-licorice (which is actually tastier anyway). Most chewy and/or gummy sweets have got gelatin in (a meat product), as have extra strong mints. Strange but true.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven
Ok I was fine before when I used to eat meat and I always love my sweets but now that I'm not eating meat I actually don't crave meat but I crave sweets and its on a daily basis "its actually annoying me" . I just want sweets mainly cookies, cakes and of course lots of soda. By which I feel like I'm not making a good healthy choice, I stop eating meat but I'm eating more sweets so it doesn't help. Anyone experience the same as me when stop eating meat? or any advice on how to stop craving sugar?

Only have sugar in coffee m'self, so I don't crave it, and only drink soda like once in a year... but sugar is a quick fix of fast energy, so maybe look into more nuts and seeds (good oils and protien) and sultanas, dry figs etc (good sugar).
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
I have found drinking pints of plain water helpful. It fills me up and reduces the cravings. Also eating fruit such as bananas, apples and dates (yum) instead of sweets is better. If I get to the point where I need 'sweets' then I tend to choose natural licorice.

Oh, one thing I just remembered. A heck of a lot of sweets have meat products in them. The ordinary bog-standard licorice is not vegetarian, so I have to buy a particular brand of soft-licorice (which is actually tastier anyway). Most chewy and/or gummy sweets have got gelatin in (a meat product), as have extra strong mints. Strange but true.

Oh yeah, dates too...

Good idea also is herbal tea, like peppermint, sweet but not sugary and there's lots of water in it.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Master

Meat is fatty and it takes a long time to break down in the stomach. Plant food is more readily and more quickly digested.
The sugar craving is really just a response to this.

The answer is either something more substantial with your meals i.e. containing fat - nuts, avocado etc. or a snack between meals to boost your blood sugar level.

You can get vegan dark chocolate if your sweet tooth is still hankering for sweets, and in small amounts it is even good for you.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Ascender
If you still have a craving for sweet food, apart from the excellent suggestions above, do try having a banana when you feel a craving. They are sweet in taste, but also contain good amounts of potassium, magnesium and vitamin C. But like everything else, please don't eat too much each day!

Every best wish to you!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Master
Wow, awesome advice from all of you!!! I love chocolate and of course I love bananas too! I really need to do something about it. A look at my daily eating it varies everyday so I can give you a look at one day. I know the cookie doesn't help.

Breakfast - Eggs in the morning, soda for drink, a cookie for dessert and water with lemon. Or sometimes I substitute the soda for hot chocolate.

Lunch - Fish sandwich, with water or soda or sometimes I eat peanut butter sandwich.

Dinner - varies from pasta, rice, beans, vegetable or soup.

So I already see that I'm missing nuts, more bananas and I will substitute the cookies for dark chocolate. Thanks everyone for your help!!